Thursday, February 26, 2009

On Cloud Nine!

Hi everyone,

I have been teaching my little 4-year old granddaughter her alphabet names and sounds over the past several months. Four days ago I started her in "ABC's See How to Chop and Blend" and we worked on the exercise to stretch out each sound. Then today, I taught her how to blend sounds together to make a word. She had no problem at all! She read five words! It is the most thrilling moment for me when going through the teaching reading process. Up til now it's all been fun and games learning letter sounds and their fun picture clues. But when they realize that blending those sounds together makes a word and that they just read it, it is one of the most powerful moments in all of their learning life! All of the sudden, the written word comes to life! And that is why I am on cloud nine.

And my granddaughter was bursting with excitement when she realized what she could do. She won't go to Kindergarten next year, but the year after that.

I would love to hear your cloud nine stories. Please share them with us.

Doreese

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Aunt Doreese, I am so excited about your books. I need to get me some. My son is in 1st grade and is needing some extra help in loving to read, plus my 4 year old has a late birthday so I am really looking forward to her and I having some preschool time this next year. I will be checking back often for tips and all your adventures.

Doreese Severe and Sherry Garr said...

Hi Lib,
You and your kids would have so much fun learning to read with these books. My granddaughter also has a late birthday. She will go next year, so she should easily finish the program by then. It's great if they can finish before school even starts, but they can continue working on it afterwards of course. And, if you had any questions, I'm always here to ask.