Thursday, April 29, 2010

Reading With Expression Game Works!

In my last post I taught you how to play a brand new "Follow the Leader Expression" reading game that I had just made up on the spot. The purpose of this game was to turn reading to your child into a "play-based" activity. I knew I would have to quickly actually try out the game I had just told you to do. If it didn't work as I had envisioned and predicted it would, then I would have some major editing to do in my last post. But, whew!!! It worked exactly as I had imagined.

As usual, my grandchildren are my little guinea pigs these days. The 5 and the 3-year old did awesome! The 3-year old did most of the tracking with her finger. She was learning a lot from this simple activity. The 2-year old chimed in occasionally with repeating a phrase with expression. He definitely can mimic expression at his young age. But, his attention span was quite erratic. The other two made it all the way through.

The book we read was so great for this activity that I will share it with you. It is So Many Bunnies - a bedtime abc and counting book written by Rick Walton. The words are in rhythm and rhyme, making it ideal to put expression to. Check it out from your library!

Doreese

No comments: