Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Music Installment #2 - Pre-Natal and Newborns


Today was an exciting one for our family.  My daughter found out if they are going to have her 4th boy, or finally get a baby girl the end of May.  They came over and the boys all excitedly announced, "We're having a girl baby!"  And, my other daughter who has two girls is expecting a boy baby the first part of May.  That was very exciting news too!

Because of the two little grandchildren on the way, I decided to share this part about music that addresses Pre-natal, and Newborns.

Pre-Natal
Anthony De Casper of the University of North Carolina has shown that fetuses store in their memories complex songs that are sung to them daily during the last trimester.  After delivery, babies respond with increased attention to these familiar songs.  (The Times-Picayune 3/13/95)


Babies - Soothing tapes placed in hospitals.
What the hospitals have noticed, says Woodford, is that restless babies, even some babies in pain following surgery, will nod off to sleep, sometimes as soon as the tape is turned on.  Hospitals are not generally the most comforting of places.  There are too many frightful procedures, too  many strangers, too many alarms and beepers and TV sets, all creating a 'Startle effect.'  But lullabies and heartbeats are calming, even in the worst of situations, he says.  More than 30,000 of the tapes have been stolen (ooo, Kind of freaky, but on "Good Luck Charlie" a guy just now was practicing his violin, a classical piece.  Teddy bursts into the room and he says, "Huh, that was exciting for a second."  I thought so too, that's why I'm telling about it!) from US hospitals since they were first introduced seven years ago.  Woodford also says nursing homes have found the tapes helpful in calming down Alzheimer's patients."  (Elaine Jarvik, Deseret News)

From my own personal experience, my unborn children were exposed to great music at church.  Then, when I was expecting my fourth baby, I started my first child in piano lessons.  The Suzuki method.  It has you play the tapes of the songs they are going to be learning every day.  My three children were ages 5, 4, and 1.  So, they were all young enough to greatly benefit from listening to it.  Then, when I was expecting my 5th child, the older children were listening to more advanced classical music every day.  And, after my 5th baby was born, she began sleeping through the night at age two weeks!  It seemed miraculous.  I just thought she must have known that with four other little kids, I needed her to be a happy, calm baby.  But, after reading this, I have to seriously consider it was the music that could have had something to do with it.

I highly recommend playing classical music and lullabies for your little children, and those who are "on the way." 

Doreese

No comments: