Friday, March 19, 2010

Get and Give

Another blog about something that really had an impact on my life. Day before yesterday, I attended a day-long event in Salt Lake City presented by the NSA (National Speakers Association). Our hearts and minds were fed by 10 different speakers; some of the top motivational speakers in the country. Here are their names:

Marty Val Hill, Jean Palmer Heck, Mark Eaton, Doug Nielsen, Judith Rasband, Jathan Janove, Jason Hewlett, Brad Barton, Tim Border, Kathy Loveless and Dan Clark.

I invite you to google each of them and find out why they are so special; see what they've done with their lives.

There are so many horrible things going on in the world today. It can really get us down. But, when I attend something such as this, it reinforces my confidence in humanity. If you are feeling a little empty inside, and even if you're not, look around you for the many opportunities there are for you to go and get filled. Check into your community's calendar and go to a seminar, take a class, go to a concert, etc., etc. Also, a good, uplifting, motivating book will do the trick.

Then once you have been filled, you will be more in a position to give to others. I like to call it, "get and give." There's just something about seeing other people giving and sharing their talents to help me that makes me want to go out and do the same. I'm sure you can guess that the way I like to give is through improving literacy. I LOVE teaching kids how to read, and I LOVE teaching parents how to teach their kids how to read. I'm also a big supporter of volunteerism.

If you don't have a cause, go out and find one. To name a few, there's: volunteering at a school, or an animal shelter, you can call your city office and ask if they need volunteers for anything, be a Boy or Girl Scout Leader, a 4-H Leader, be a SCORE counselor (they help people in small businesses), help the less fortunate, and on and on. Even just a phone call to lift someone in need. There's something that's a perfect fit for you.

The really amazing thing about this NSA event was that all proceeds were being donated to the Boy Scouts of America! Talk about giving!!!

I hope that if you're ever feeling down, these words will come to your mind and you will go out and do them: "get and give."

Doreese

1 comment:

Tawnya said...

I absolutely LOVED that NSA event! The speakers were so inspirational and all had great stories to share. And I love your idea of "get and give". What better way to improve ourselves and everyone around us?